Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Long Absence and Albert Einstein

I wish that I could say the reason I have not posted anything in a month was because I was busy firming up a book deal or traveling to a far corner of the Earth (confusing expression, isn't it?) However, the reality is, we have been moving and although this is our 4th move in 8 years, I forgot what a taxing and demanding beast a move can be.

So rather than writing, I have been in line at the DMV, on hold with the gas company, packing boxes, moving boxes, unpacking boxes, dropping off bags at Good-Will and cleaning out the refrigerator.

Yesterday, I was reminded of why Einstein said "Imagination is more important than knowledge". As I was working in the kitchen, unpacking a box, and determined to make a home-cooked meal, I looked out the window over the sink and into our new backyard. There, our son Payton, and his friend were playing baseball with a rolling pin and lime from the lime tree. Because we've spent only two nights in our new house, not many of the kids' things have been unpacked. But a kid's imagination is like a muscle that is strong from constant exercise. Payton looked up and caught me looking out the window smiling, in a rare moment of stillness, with a potato peeler in my hand.

I'd like to believe Einstein was right. So as Payton yelled, "Mom, watch this!", carefully pitching the small green lime to his friend waiting in position with the wooden rolling pin, I did carefully watch - making the scene indelible in my mind.

I imagined a new book title for the list I had started to compile a couple of weeks ago. Even for me, it has been my imagination that has stimulated me and been my loyal companion throughout the mundane tasks required of moving.

Below is a sample of the imagined book titles, that kept my mood light during our move.

Kitchen Inspired Sports for Boys

A new series of I SPY Books - I SPY: THE BIG MOVE. When the men move the couch see if you can find: a yellow marker top, 3 Froot Loops, a math page that was never turned in, half of a yo-yo, a superball, popcorn kernels, and a business card.

Date Night at Home Depot

A Priest, A Rabbi and A Mover Walk Into A Bar - Humorous Tales from Moves Around the World.

100 Things to do While on Hold With Direct TV

Yelling at Your Kids With the Windows Shut: and Other Tips For Making a Good First Impression on your New Neighbors.

An Idiot's Guide to Packing Tape

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I see a best seller in "Date Night at Home Depot". For those romantically inclined, date night can be followed up with "Afternoon Delight waiting for the [damn] Delivery."