Thursday, April 23, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are on the Big Screen


Where the Wild Things Are, perhaps the most popular of the Maurice Sendak picture books, is a giant in the vast world of children's literature. Maybe it is the melodic language, "and an ocean tumbled by with a private boat for Max and he sailed off through night and day and in and out of weeks and almost over a year to where the wild things are." Maybe it is the story itself - the action is immediate, within the first few pages, Max wears a wolf suit, creates mischief "of one kind and another", is sent to bed without his supper and a forest begins to grow in his room. (How cool is that?) For sure, the Caldecott Award winning wildly creative illustrations, play a part in making this book a favorite of both boys and girls.

Where the Wild Things Are has been courting children's imaginations since 1963. The first group of 4 year olds that repeatedly begged their parents to read it "one more time!" are turning 50 this year.

So when I saw the poster for the movie to be released this October, I felt a sinking feeling. I don't want to see some kid actor play the role of Max, and I don't want Hollywood special effects to ruin the way my imagination has perfected the Wild Rumpus. The story, a metaphor of a child's temper tantrum, is poetic and pure and should not be adapted, tweaked and ruined. I can "roar my terrible roar" all I want but kids will love the movie - and never know a piece of their pure imagination has been robbed.

No comments: